Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I am back!

So...I moved to where I am now about 5 1/2 years ago. It was so difficult to get a teaching job that I fell back on my marketing background and did that instead. Taking that first step away from teaching made me think twice about going back - it always seemed that life would be financially easier in a marketing job. It took me this long to realize that no matter what I could get paid, I was never happy and never felt in the "right place" in the career aspect of my life. I always felt at home in the classroom.

So, now that I am in a financial position where I can afford to sub (actually it is all because of my extremely supportive and encouraging hubby), I am just doing it hoping that it will be my "foot-in-the door" to a real teaching job.

I am back...I am back doing what I really want to do with my life. I absolutely love it! I decided a blog would be the perfect way to chronicle this for my own learning and maybe for others who are thinking of subbing or who are and can give advice.

OK...so today I subbed only 1/2 day for a 2nd grade class. The teacher was there when I arrived which was nice so we could go over some things and she had the chance to tell me about her kids. She made it seem like they might be really tough to handle - many are needy or hyper, she advised. It really wasn't as bad as she made it out to be. I was able to manage them just fine. Although they were unruly a few times, it was not hard to get them back on track. The fact that PE was at the end of their day was great! I could use that as incentive to be good (if their name was on the board and they got two checks, they didn't get to go - once names were on the board, all I had to do was pick up the marker and they all immediately were back on track).

I hope I am not just being overly optimistic about this gig (the whole substitute teaching thing)...maybe my next job won't go as well. We'll see.

So Friday I am signed up to be an aide for a resource classroom. I only have 5 jobs lined up for all of December so far...it is hard to get jobs since nobody knows me yet. Hopefully more jobs will come along as I get to know teachers at the different schools!

No comments: